Saturday, October 3, 2009

Sophie's 2nd Birthday (...or was it 9th Birthday?)

A few weeks ago, we celebrated Sophie's 2nd birthday with family and friends at our house. I planned a very subtly themed "S" party. Sophie wore a shirt with a monogrammed S and there were S- cupcakes, but nothing too over the top with the theme (she's only 2, right!). Had I known that Sophie would be swimming in princess gifts, I might have gone with a Cinderella party... well, maybe next year.

I think the funniest memory that I'll keep with me from Sophie's second birthday, was her insistence that she was not, in fact, two, but nine. Seriously, Sophie!?! NINE? Where that came from, I'll never know, but it was awfully cute, and combined with a week-long phase where she called me "mom" instead of "mommy," it was a bit foreshadowing. I can honestly say that I'm not looking forward to my little girl growing up and turning....nine.

Here's Sophie and my mom, who came to visit for the weekend, enjoying some of the yummy food!
Our little monkey! Burning off some energy between food and cake....Sophie wasn't quite sure what to do with the candles, so Daddy took care of it. Thank you Daddy!
Sophie's not a particularly messy eater, even with the enticing cake and ice cream. For a two-year old I like to think that she has pretty good table manners!
Opening presents! I cannot overstate just how much princess stuff Sophie got for her birthday! Cinderella coloring books, a Disney princess blanket, a princess lunchbox and dinner set, a princess chair, Cinderella and Snow White dvds and dress-up costumes, and even her very own Disney princess castle. The funny thing is, we have no idea where Sophie's princess (mainly Cinderella) obsession came from. Yes, we have some Disney princess storybooks, but was that really enough to completely engross her? Sophie has talked about Cinderella ('rella) for months now -- she literally screams "'rella, 'rella" whenever we're out and she catches a glimpse of the princess. Which is quite often, believe it or not. She's now beginning to identify the other princesses too - Jasmine, Belle, Ariel, and Snow White. She's such a little girl, sometimes!
Always the polite hostess - here's Sophie saying thank you and goodbye to cousin Maggie! And notice that 18-months later, Gerry the Giraffe still accompanies Sophie everywhere (thanks Kelsey!)
A post-party picture and smile for mommy!
I still can't believe my little girl is two!

No comments:

Post a Comment