Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Mommy, the antagonist

Sophie is very much into imaginary play. Sometimes it surprises me just how many characters and scenarios she comes up with. Lately, she has involved both Allen and me in her play, assigning us characters. Her favorite imaginary scenarios of late include Snow White, Cinderella, Dora and the Snow Princess (based on a Dora special from a couple months ago), and just generic princess play. She's also been seen pretending to kick and throw an imaginary ball around the living room; walking to Grandma and Grandpa's house, complete with imaginary jackets that have to be zipped up; walking to church with a purse in hand; and teaching her baby dolls how to swim based on her own swimming lessons.

Inevitably, as Allen and I get assigned our characters, he ends up as the prince in the princess stories and as Boots, the monkey, in Dora play. I, however, am regularly assigned to be the stepmother, the witch in Dora and the Snow Princess, and/or Swiper, the fox, in other Dora play.

How is it that I am always the antagonist to Sophie's heroine? I comfort myself by thinking that this is really advanced for a 2 1/2 year old and that even she recognizes the need for both good and bad characters in effective storytelling. Perhaps this is a bit over thought, but it's comforting nonetheless. In the meantime, I keep hoping that maybe someday I'll be elevated to the fairy godmother....

1 comment:

  1. Sorry Christine, but the fairy godmother role is all mine! ;) I think that since it's make-believe, Sophie wants you to be the opposite of the sweet mommy that you are in real life to mix things up. After all, she IS a self-proclaimed Mommy's Girl!

    ReplyDelete